Homework:
I am trying something new this week with homework.
1. Reading the Weekly Story: 2 nights a week.
· On the night that your child has sight words, they will also need to read their weekly story out of the yellow reading book.
· The stories are getting harder and longer. I have noticed a different in individual and group reading that it was harder from them. They need more practice.
2. Homework Folder:
· I am going to send home a homework folder on Mondays.
· In this folder will be their math homework, and word wall word homework.
· This folder and the work inside will be due on Friday. They have all week to work on this homework.
· If the work gets done before Friday, go ahead and turn in it.
· Please try to turn it in when all of the work is completed – IN THE FOLDER.
· This folder will be different from their plastic red folder. I would like this folder to put kept for their behavior chart and any notes / lunch money that needs to come to school on a daily basis.
· This homework folder will stay at home and return when the work is completed or on Friday when it is due.
· Included also will be the signature paper. Sign that they did their nightly HW, math, and WWW. Turn it back in with the folder when their work is all complete.
I am making these changes to help your child become a better reader and to help with the homework load. I couldn’t think of a way for every group’s work to be fair on a nightly basis and to add the job of reading the weekly story a night. It fit into one or two groups – but one group was stuck with several things in one night. I didn’t think that was fair for anyone involved. This folder was the most organized idea that I came up with that would be fair for all.
With this folder, your child can do their math homework on a night that they don’t have as much homework. Each week and every child will be different also depending on if they passed their practice spelling test or not.
Thanks for your help and cooperation! I hope this makes it easier to spread out the HW load so there isn’t a lot in one night and a little in others.
Mrs. Baylor