Next week, we are going to do a spelling test and a little bit of reading homework. I am sending home a spelling list tonight of words. On the spelling test - I do not read the words in the list order. I mix them up.
We will have a practice spelling test on Wednesday. The final test will be on Thursday. (Usually it will be on Friday. However, we don't have school on Friday due to a teacher in-service.)
If the kids do not miss any words on the practice test, they will not have to take their test. Any words they miss on the practice test, you know what words they will need to study. When I give a spelling test, I follow these steps. It might be helpful at home to follow these steps to practice with.
- I say the word. (Example: # 1 is at.)
- I give the word in a sentence. (Example: He is at the store.)
- I give the sounds one by one for the word. (Example: a……(they repeat the sound)…..t…(they repeat the sound).
- I say the word again. (at)
Each night the kids will have reading homework. We will start math homework and baggie books another week. I want the kids to get used to one thing at a time. Also, it is a short week. I do not want too much HW at one time when they are not use to doing HW. I don't want it to be overwhelming.
Monday: Flashcards (Cut apart the word and practice the sight words until the child can read them easily.)
Tuesday: Read the Story (Read Max the Cat with an adult. The parent can read the story to them. They can read it together. Then the child can try to read it by themselves. They will have a reading test at the end of the week on this story.)
Wednesday: Study for spelling Test
Thursday: No HW over the weekend! Have a good long weekend!